The best waffles, beer, French fries and chocolate - can it get any better? Yes, it actually can! Belgium has beautiful architecture, history and arts, and amazing attractions for couples and families as well! Here are 3 reasons to love Belgium...
Food and Drink
Belgian waffles may be one of the top reasons you need Belgium on your travel bucket list! Try them covered in Belgian chocolate! Belgium is known for their chocolates and there are shops throughout the city full of chocolates including the ability to taste test!
Belgium is also known for their French fries that are often served in a cone with your choice of dipping on top. Did you know the most common dip for French fries in Europe is mayonnaise instead of ketchup?
Mussels in Brussels is a unique meal that is a must have as well! The mussels are served in a pot in delicious broth and often are served with fries that you can dip into the broth.
Belgian beer is well known and delicious! There are incredible breweries throughout the city you can go for a drink, or because it’s Europe, you can even grab a pack of beer and sit in a nearby park enjoying a beautiful afternoon!
Architecture and Art
The main square of Brussels, the Grand Place, is perfectly named and is a sight to be seen. The buildings are huge and lined with gold, creating a beautiful 360-degree view! Brussels is packed with so much history, that you can take tours to learn more about. Their art scene is fantastic! While walking around the city, you will discover art all around. They are known also for painting comics on the sides of the buildings, and you can take a Comic Strip walk to see them all.
1. Mini Europe is a fantastic outside museum of just what it’s name says “mini Europe”. Walk through and learn what all of the countries in Europe are known for. It is also very interactive if you’re traveling with kids, with buttons to press along the way.
2. The Atomium is located right next to Mini Europe and is a unique structure built originally for the 1958 Brussels World's Fair. You can go up inside for amazing views and a unique light show experience.
3. Searching for “peeing statues”. Mannequin Pis is popular in Brussels, hence the crowd that is always surrounding it to get pictures. He is often dressed up for different occasions. There are two other statues to find, Jeanneke Pis (female) and Zinneke Pis (dog), which is fun for a scavenger hunt while exploring the city.
4. Train World is a huge museum unlike anything you have ever seen. It is in an old train station and there are full-size trains inside the buildings of all different types. You can walk around and even onto the trains!
5. Making your own Belgian waffles. Belgian waffles are amazing, right? Having the opportunity to make them in Belgium while learning all about them is also amazing, and delicious! This is a must do while in Belgium!
Bonus Tip: Going to Brussels for their Flower Carpet is a unique experience. You can see a beautiful carpet of flowers in the main square, created like the picture shown here (which was taken at Mini Europe). This usually happens every other August.
Bruges is worth a day trip from Brussels, if not spending a couple days in this picturesque city. Bruges is known as the “Venice of the north” with canals and bridges everywhere. You will have similar Belgian food to what you eat in Brussels. The historic buildings are beautiful, especially lined along the canals (how is it that water makes things even more beautiful?).
1. Take a canal boat tour along the canal, under bridges and in between beautiful buildings and views.
2. Ride in a horse drawn carriage ride down the cobble stone streets.
3. There are several Museums that are fun to explore more of Belgium’s history – Historium Brugges, Choco-Story, and The Bruges Beer Experience
Belgium truly has something for everyone! It’s beauty is like a fairytale, it’s food will make your mouth water, and it’s atmosphere is fun and carefree. Let us help you plan your Belgium itinerary today!
5 Days In Belgium Itinerary
Another great thing about Belgium is that you can spend an entire week, by adding Ghent or Antwerp onto the itinerary, or you can add to your itinerary another country - the Netherlands, France or Germany - which are all a close train ride away!
Share the knowledge
Enter your email to get updates straight to your inbox.