The popularity of River Cruising in Europe has exploded over the past few years and is one of the best ways to see the historical interior of the continent. Many of these river voyages are themed for special interests including wine, beer, history and the incredibly famous Christmas markets during the months of November and December.
Why are so many travelers choosing River Cruises? Here are a few reasons...
1. The boats are smaller and more intimate (120-170 passengers) so you can actually get to know your fellow guests. You may eat with whom you choose each evening and have a choice of a few onboard dining venues for variety.
2. It is as close to hassle-free as you can get. There are no lines to get on or off the boat and, when you arrive at your next stop, you can usually walk right off and be immersed in your destination. Europe grew up along its rivers, so there are some very charming and interesting small towns and big cities to explore. Very few ports require bus transfers, which makes it easy to come and go at your leisure.
3. The trip can be totally all-inclusive, depending on the cruise line and ship you have chosen. Most River Cruises include more than a typical ocean cruise. Some include airport transfers, gratuities, Wi-Fi, alcoholic beverages and shore excursions in every port.
4. Being on the river, there are no waves, so seasickness is not an issue. Also, most cruises include transferring through a series of “locks” to accommodate the changes in elevation, which most people find super interesting to watch. You can literally touch the walls of the locks from your balcony as you pass through!
5. Evening entertainment can be a bit light compared to an ocean cruise on a large ship. However, there is always live music in the lounge and most cruise lines bring on local entertainers such as an OomPah band in Passau Germany or Gypsy dancers in Budapest. There are also informative talks on the ports-of-call while sipping cocktails with your new friends from around the world.
The price tag of a River Cruise can cause a bit of a shock but when you look at everything included in the cost, it can be an exceptional value. When you think of River Cruise lines, there are a few well known ones that come to mind including Viking and Ama Waterways to name a few. There are, however, many more to choose from to meet your needs and expectations each with unique ships and itineraries.
River Cruising is a great choice for small groups of friends, family, work colleagues and special interest groups who would like to travel together. Ask if there is anyone who might want to join you on the trip. Most of the time at least 1 or 2 additional couples come forward! Who would you like to sip champagne with as you cruise through the incredible Wachau Valley in Austria’s wine country?
While River Cruising tends to appeal to a more sophisticated and older demographic, some cruise lines are working to appeal to a younger and more active crowd as well as families. From ships suited to families and special family themed itineraries, there are opportunities to take your kids on the trip of a lifetime.
A travel agent who specializes in European River cruising (like me!) and has relationships with the sales reps from all of the different lines can be incredibly valuable in helping you sort through all of the options to find the perfect fit!
Nearly 96% of first time River Cruisers say they would recommend the experience to a friend. Travel A Latte – Luxury Travel Design is authorized to sell all the lines and we would love to help match you, your family and friends to your own ultimate river cruising experience!
More about River Cruising:
River vs Ocean Cruising - Which Cruise To Choose?
Share the knowledge
Hi! I'm Nikki -
Enter your email to get updates straight to your inbox.